We are very grateful to Jan MacDonald, whose father in-law, James MacDonald, was the skipper of the Crimson Arrow, for these photos of the Crimson Arrow towing the Empire Ace into Campbeltown Loch to be broken up.
The Crimson Arrow CN 30 was the first fishing boat to be launched at Campbeltown Shipyard Ltd, in 1970. The Ace Empire was a 275-ton tug, which was built in Selby by Cochrane & Sons (Yard No. 1255) in 1942 for the Ministry of War Transport and was launched the following year. During the war she was part of a convoy, based in the Mediterranean. She was sunk but salvaged and repaired. After the war she was in service with the Admiralty and in 1947 and renamed Diligent. She was transferred to the M.o.D. in 1961 and reverted back to her previous name, Empire Ace. She was loaned to the US Navy from December 1961 to December 1964 and served in Scotland. She ran aground during a storm in Campbeltown in 1968. She was eventually towed, in 1971, with some difficulty (see article in the Campbeltown Courier below), into Campbeltown Loch by the Crimson Arrow, to be scrapped.